Sunday, September 28, 2014

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

Chapter 13

Summary:
In chapter 13, Maya reveals that Mr. Freeman was the man that raped her. She felt trapped when she didn't know how to respond when the attorney asked her if there had been any times before because she didn't want to admit that there was.  She ended up lying to the court and Mr. Freeman was sentenced to only one year.  However, a policeman informs Momma that Mr. Freeman was kicked to death. Feeling responsible, Maya decides to only speak to Bailey.

Response:
This chapter really stuck out to me because of some of the things Maya wrote and the way it was written.  I could really feel connected to Maya even though it takes place years ago and in a totally different world.  I was also very moved when I read about how she felt like she forfeited her place in heaven because she felt like she did something very wrong and was going to be punished for it because the burden that it would take a person's life.  Especially a little girl, is a lot to handle. And also how she felt like something bad happened when she would talk so she would give up talking.  It made me think about my little sister and how horrible I would feel if she went through something like Maya did.

No comments:

Post a Comment